Benefits of English Grammar Exercises
The knowledge on how English language is made up can actually help you in many ways. One of the ways is writing. Those individuals who can write grammatical error free content have a good foundation of English grammar. This means that they had enough English grammar practice right from childhood and this has made them shine in the language. It is not a surprise to find a native English speaker who cannot write a single grammatically correct sentence. The person had English as his or her first language but no effort has been done on advance English grammar. Therefore, undertaking English grammar exercises well can make you excellent in writing English.
It is worth to note that English grammar practice can actually help you not only in writing but also in speaking correct English. We note that those people who know how to write English can as well speak it out well. Pronunciation of English terms matters a lot and this is the area that actually need English grammar practice. Pronouncing an English word correctly indicates that you can also write it well. There are many English grammar exercises that one can go through and get enough practice.
Another benefit of English grammar practice is that it will help you in the study of other languages. English is the standard language that everyone is supposed to be conversant with. Without the knowledge of advance English grammar, then writing and pronunciation of terms in other languages would be a problem. Other subjects studied in school also require good English grammar. Such subjects include; geography, history, agriculture, economics and many more that require correct English grammar.
Thursday, 28 July 2011
1. If you write a lot on your computer in English, investing in a grammar checker can be a good thing. The best part is that you will find lots of them online, and you will pay only when you want to check something. If you are going to use those grammar checkers from Microsoft Word, you should know that they are not very accurate. You will need some proper skills and the computer will just help you with typos and other small mistakes.
2. Hiring an English tutor can be one of the best choices but you will have to pay some extra money. There is no computer program or book that can teach you so many things as a professor. You can even hire it online. This way you will pay less and in the same time, you will stay in your own home learning. If you do not have any other solutions and you want to learn English in a fast way, hiring someone is the answer for you.
3. When you read a book or a magazine, you have to be careful at the structure of the sentence. This way you will learn them better. After that, you can write your own sentences based on that structure. It is not going to be easy but it will worth it in the end. Along with reading books, you can also try exercises. They will provide you a better grip for understanding certain patterns and structures.
4. Learn what the most common mistakes in the English Grammar are. This way you will know how to avoid them. Even more, you will be able to realize where you arestanding with your knowledge. Do not forget that many people do not know when to use ‘A’ or ‘The’ when they are constructing a sentence. Try not to be like those people.
5. Internet may be you biggest resource of information. You will find everything you need and even more, you can find it free. Use it well. You can find exercises, games and even more, you can find foreign people and even natives. Only by discussing with them, you can improve your skills.
6. Search for help around you. It is impossible for you not to have people around you that speak English better than you do. You can ask them for help. Lots of them will help you gladly. Do not try to learn English in only one day. You will not be able to do it and you will be disappointed. Learning a new language can be difficult. Take it systematically and you will succeed. Do not forget that if English surround you you will learn it faster. Watch movies in English and you will learn even more.
Thursday, 1 October 2009
Each of the following sentences may contain an error in grammar, idiom or usage. If there is an error, it will appear in one of the underlined portions. Answers are given at the answer part. First try to answer by yourself, and then check it against the given answer. Answer explanation for each sentence is also given. If you go through this exercise, we can assure you that you will have a vast idea in English.71. While my uncle and I were walking through the zoo my uncle was frightened by the roar of a lion. Answer
72. Mathematics is his favorite subject; he finds them very interesting. Answer
73. After the accident took place, neither the passengers nor the policeman were able to catch the bus driver. Answer
74. I only bought what was necessary; I was not whimsical. Answer
75. I believe that story about the tiger hunting because he himself had told us the story was true. Answer
72. Here ‘mathematics’ is a subject and is singular. So it should be ‘it’ instead of ‘them’.
73. In a ‘neither-nor’ construction the verb agrees with the noun or pronoun which comes immediately before the verb. So here ‘the policeman was able’ is correct.
74. There is a wrong use of modifier in this sentence. ‘I bought only’ should be the correct answer.
75. The sentence is correct.
76. The sentence is correct.
77. Here verb ‘affect’ should be changed to noun ‘effect’ because it is the object of the clause. Never use a verb in subject or object position.
78. ‘I’ should be changed to ‘me’, because here the pronoun ‘me’ is the object of the preposition ‘among’.
79. The rule is (would like + complement + infinitive). So here it should be ‘to spend’.
80. The sentence is correct.